Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pumpkin Pie with fresh pumpkin and a homemade crust!!


  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
  • one half teaspoon ground ginger
  • one half teaspoon salt (optional, I don't use any)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 3 cups cooked pumpkin (the stuff we made earlier)
  • 1.5 cans (12oz each) of evaporated milk
Mix well using a hand blender or mixer.
Notes: The vast majority of people tell me this is the best pumpkin pie they've ever had. It's light and fluffy - however... if you want a heavy, more dense pie, use 3 eggs instead of 4 and 1 can of evaporated milk instead of 1.5)

Step 11 - Pour into the pie crust


I like a deep, full pie, so I fill it right up to about one quarter to one half inch from the very top.Don't be surprised if the mixture is very runny!  It may start as a soupy liquid, but it will firm up nicely in the oven! * I place my pie pan on a cookie sheet before pouring mixture into crust so it is easier to move from the counter top to the oven.

 

 

Step 12 - Bake the pie


Bake at 425 F (210 C ) for the first 15 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 350 F  ( 175 C ) and bake another 45 to 60 minutes, until a clean knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Here is the finished pie, right out of the oven.
I use a blunt table knife to test the pie. It should come out pretty clean when the pie is done.

Step 13 - Cool the pie

And enjoy! Warm or chilled, with whipped cream , ice cream or nothing at all - it's great!

No comments:

Post a Comment